How To Create Stars, Concrete, and Static- The Splatter Technique

This is a pretty simple inking technique, all you need is ink in the color you wish to create your splatter effect, an old tooth brush, something to mask the area you don't want affected, and an X-acto blade.  In this demonstration, I'm creating 'static' on the blacked out squares below:

As you can see, there's actually a lot of page I want to protect.

First I tape my page down to my work surface, so it won't shift.

Next I tape a sheet of tracing paper on top.  I use tracing paper as a mask because it's transparent, and allows me to easily see where I'm cutting.

Carefully, I cut my first window.


My supplies include a thin white ink that while not suitable for making corrections, is perfect for applying splatter, an old toothbrush, and a ramekin to shake the excess ink into.






Gently run your finger across the bristles, allowing the white ink to splatter your image.



When you've finished and the ink is dry, remove your mask and make any necessary corrections, in case of stray ink.

Comments