Advanced Inking Techniques-Cover Assignment- Storyteller Girl

For this assignment, I utilized a variety of techniques, tried to really push texture and atmosphere, and used masks twice.  I've started to really use nib for things like faces and hands, and then pull out the brush for everything else, especially as I get more adept at using it.  I sized down from a Winsor Newton  Series 7 "2" to a WN Series 7 "1", and that's been helping with my 'fat hand'.  Around our department, some of the brush inkers can get a little snooty, claiming that a great inker can ink with an "8", but honestly, I don't care.  If I can get the effect I want out of a "1" without pulling all my hair out or constantly correcting fat lines, then I'm happy.

I used a G nib instead of a Manga tank this time, as I wanted to pull slightly fatter lines.  I really like both nibs a lot, but they are both a bit limited- a manga tank pulls great fine lines, but will splatter if you put too much pressure on it.  A G nib will pull lovely fat lines, but can't handle finer details.  I usually use a G nib when I'm doing linework in white ink, as even watered down white ink will clog a tank pen.

Splatter technique isn't that new to me, but it's the first time I've utilized it in this class.  I feel like splatter can seem a little disjointed from more mannered techniques, but that's what I wanted in this case.  I used black ink to create the splatter gradient that fades the mountains into the sky, and then used white ink to put the stars in.   To utilize the splatter technique, a mask can be very useful, and I generally make my masks out of tracing paper, cutting out the area that I want to splatter.  You can also make masks out of friskit, regular paper, or even tape it off but I find I have the best overall experience just using tracing paper.

I also did the reverse of a technique I'd heard about when I first started at SCAD.  It was recommended that we try using a black china marker to draw smoke, and I used a white.  I first allowed the entire piece to dry overnight, then sprayed it down with matte fixative (to give the white china marker something to bite into) and started sketching in my smoke.  I didn't have time to respray and reapply (to make more opaque smoke) so I cheated a bit and used white ink over that.  The transition isn't as subtle as I would like, and I may go back over the china marker when the piece is returned to me.  I'd also like to feather out the main character (Maran)'s kohl under eye smears, they're a bit harsh, but that'll have to wait.

Comments