Quick and Dirty Portfolio

The artist's self-representation.

My actual-factual website is currently down for renovation, and I need a quick and dirty portfolio for the time being.  This post is going to include two types of projects- single image projects, and downloadable multi-image projects that will have a sample image included in the post.  Although most of the digital single image projects have already been uploaded previously, I'd like to collect several works on one page for easy linking.

My overall style has a great deal of influence from the large amount of manga I've consumed since highschool, but I don't want my work to be thought of as American-anime or OEL.  I'm currently trying to find a synthesis between the styles typically used in manga, styles that I find very appealing and styles that are considered to be more American.  Basically, I'm trying to find my own style.  I have no desire to copy any artist's style for my own pieces, but I don't mind working towards others' specific tastes for commissions and requests.

My Japanese influences are Kiyohiko Azuma, Kaoru Mori, Naoki Urasawa, Asano Inio, Chika Umino, and my American influences are Bill Watterson, Brandon Graham, and I take a great deal of inspiration from the myriad of fellow bloggers who digitally publish their work on a regular basis. I consider myself to be quite flexiable as an artist, and I try to challenge myself artistically on a regular basis.  My preferred medium is digital, and my favorite imaging program is Photoshop, although I have some experience with Painter and OpenCanvas as well.  I also enjoy using traditional print media (linoleum, intaglio, screenprint), watercolor, markers, and colored pencils, and have dabbled in cut paper.

Digital Single Image Projects:

"Nattosoup in the Forest" 2010 Photoshop
"Dough-lita" 2010 Photoshop


"Amaratsu" 2010 Fanart from Okami, Photoshop

"Unicorm" 2010 Photoshop
"Cowgirl Remi" 2010 Photoshop


Comics and Children's Books

"Page 12 from 'Ready Set Go!'" 2009 Photoshop.
This is just a single image from the first chapter of my webcomic, Ready Set Go!  You can download the entire chapter (here).

Sample Image of "Branching Out" Photoshop
This is a sample image of the one-shot comic, Branching Out.  You can download the full size comic (here).

Cover for "The Bedtime Princess" 2009- Graphite, Photoshop
This is just the cover from my children's book, "The Bedtime Princess".  You can download the book in its entirety (here).


Traditional Prints:


"Gasmask Girl" 2009- Intaglio on BFK Reeves
"School Pictures"- 2009- Aquatint and Intaglio on BFK Reeves
"All Tied Up In Knots" 2008 Intaglio on BFK Reeves
"Salamander, Lizard" 2009 Screenprint, Watercolor on BFK Reeves
"Industrial Love" 2010-  Linoleum PrintWhite/Pearl Ink on Black Canson
"Play" Part of the Gasmask Girls Series 2009- Screenprint, Watercolor, Gouache on BFK Reeves

Comments

  1. I kinda randomly found my way here, so sorry for out-of-the-blue-ness. You've got fun stuff in your portfolio! I know this is a temporary portfolio, but you might consider changing your wording in a couple places: "This is just..." under your webcomic sample and children's book cover. My art profs always reminded us not to say "just" or "I guess" or other words that seem to make a piece of your artwork less relevant or worthy. It's something you're proud of, right? So you want to sound confident about your work :D

    I also wondered about the inclusion of the prints in your portfolio. They have a really cool look, but it might be worth thinking about how practical it would be to create more work in that style—once you're no longer a student, will you still have access to the printing equipment and materials you used in class? If you do, then never mind, that's awesome! But if not, what if a potential client sees it in your portfolio and says, "Hey, I want a piece in that style!" Maybe you could create some new pieces that show your sense of line and composition as your prints do, using materials you'll still have access to as a professional artist/illustrator.

    Also, while I'm waiting for the children's book sample to download... (I'm a children's book illustrator myself, so this is where my biggest interest lies :D), I wonder if you're able to export the file as a more web-friendly version? Not sure what program you used to design the book, but InDesign gives the option to export to pdf as a full print-quality version, and as a web-version (which sizes down the art, since it only has to be big enough to see on a screen rather than printed in fine-detail). Not only does this help protect your art from being swiped and reproduced by a less-honest viewer, it makes the load time quicker so the viewer of your portfolio can get right to the good stuff! And I really do love the style used in your book illustrations. The soft colour over the graphite line and textured paper is a sweet, storybookish style. Nice work, and good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment